Program Summary: Every client at Florence Crittenton Home and Services is required to be in an educational program. Many of our clients attend public High School or utilize the Adult Learning Center’s HiSET program. Others are enrolled at Helena College in Access to Success, higher/continuing education courses, or are taking other advanced courses.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, most of our clients have moved to Digital Learning and are attending classes remotely. We have a variety of students with a variety of needs, so there are many opportunities to regularly tutor, especially during school hours. Paid tutoring opportunities may be available as well depending on the needs of the clients, the availability of the Tutor, and the variety of subjects the Tutor can teach.
Another option for Volunteer Tutors is to sign up to be on the “Available Tutors” list. This list includes the subject areas you can teach, and the day and times you are available. When a client requests tutoring in your preferred subject area, we will contact you to schedule your tutoring sessions.
Qualifications: Volunteers and paid Tutors in our Tutoring Program must be 21 years old. If the Tutor is still actively a student, s/he must have at least a B average in the subject to be a Tutor. Applicants must pass a criminal and child protective services background check prior to becoming Tutors.
Commitment: This is an on-going commitment during the school year. If you agree to be a Tutor, you are agreeing to tutor during the days and times you indicated. We ask that you commit to being on our list for a minimum of six months. Tutoring may take place in the morning, afternoon, and/or evening on the weekdays and/or weekends.
- Assist our clients with their assignments and homework;
- Commit to tutoring at a regularly-scheduled time. Our current tutoring needs are Monday-Thursday between 12:30 pm and 3:00 pm, and Friday between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm;
- Tutor in a common area at Florence Crittenton;
- Provide their student with both oral and written insights, information, and help;
- Maintain and submit monthly time sheets;
- Call in advance if they cannot make their scheduled session.
Tutors Do Not:
- Replace formal teachers and education;
- Meet our client outside our facility;
- Solicit donations on behalf of Florence Crittenton;
- Drop by when not scheduled.