Florence Crittenton provides a wide array of parenting classes to the community. All classes are held at Helena College, University of Montana, 1115 N Roberts, Helena, MT 59601. For more information on upcoming class dates or to enroll please call Jen Burckhard at 406 442 6950 x207 or email [email protected] To apply directly please fill out the form here.
Love & Logic All Ages
The Love and Logic approach to parenting is built around the science of caring and respectful relationships. An authentic, loving connection between parents and their children forms the foundation of good behavior and healthy decision-making.
Sounds easy enough but never before in history have parents been faced with so many challenges! The Love & Logic approach provides a variety of simple and effective strategies for parenting children from birth to adulthood. Whether you’re embarking for the first time with your new baby or navigating the turbulent teens with your child, our strategies and techniques will help you create calm and loving solutions.
Classes run from Thursday September 16th – October 21st – 5.30 – 7.30pm at Helena College
Facilitated by Emily Roehm
Circle of Security®
At times all parents feel lost or without a clue about what our child might need from us. Imagine what it might feel like if you were able to make sense of what your child was really asking from you. The Circle of Security® Parenting™ program is based on decades of research about how secure parent-child relationships can be supported and strengthened.
Using the COSP™ model developed by the Circle of Security originators, our trained Facilitators work with parents and care-givers to help them to:
- Understand their child’s emotional world by learning to read emotional needs
- Support their child’s ability to successfully manage emotions
- Enhance the development of their child’s self esteem
- Honor the innate wisdom and desire for their child to be secure
Classes run from Thursday October 7th – December 2nd at 3.30 – 5pm at Helena College
Facilitated by Emily Roehm
Nurturing Parenting Classes
Florence Crittenton is delighted to be offering Nurturing Parenting Classes for adults who are in treatment and/or recovery for substance use problems, and who are in a parenting role of any kind. It is also useful for partners of parents with substance use problems and extended family members who are parenting the children of adults with substance use disorders.
What’s so special about the Nurturing Program for Substance Use Treatment and Recovery?
- The recovery journey is so important for parents, this class really digs in to identify triggers and help parents build confidence in their parenting as they start their journey.
- Nurturing Program is a parent education curriculum that utilizes thought/lecture/teaching with emotional processing and hands-on activities
- Parent Education in this program means learning new patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving and practicing these new skills. It means participating in activities & experiences designed to enhance self-awareness, empathy, personal empowerment, self-esteem and self-concept.
- Nurturing Program does not intend to offer answers as much as encourage participants to consider the questions
- Learning happens through integration of perceptions, knowledge, emotional value and consensus from a person’s family, culture and peer group
- It is important that partners of those struggling or recovering from Substance abuse can also attend, the person recovering is not on their own, and there is a perspective from all parents in the group
Classes run start on Monday September 13th from 5.30 – 7pm at Helena College
Facilitated by Emily Roehm and Chris Schaff
Substance Use Group Therapy Sessions
Substance Use Groups are ongoing and are held on Mondays from 1:00 to 2:30 pm and Tuesdays from 9:00 am to 10:30 am
Groups are an open format and are influenced by cognitive behavioral interventions with the hopes of identifying goals and ambitions for clients and how to reach those goals and how continued substance use could impact them reaching those goals.
Groups are open to parents and caregivers of all ages and both mothers and fathers are welcome.
Early Intervention Specialists
Florence Crittenton provides easy access to community service providers in the areas of Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy. We believe in utilizing program supports and interventions as early as possible so as to improve outcomes for children.
Every parent and child entering our programs receives a comprehensive assessment using a variety of evaluation tools. This information helps our clinical team tailor an individual treatment plan to meet each family member’s needs. Our goal is to assist every parent and every child in meeting social emotional and physical determinants of health and wellness.
Florence Crittenton is part of the Partnerships for Home Visiting to offer free family support through home visiting programs. The mission is to provide information, support, skills and encouragement to strengthen families during the crucial early years of life.
Florence Crittenton provides in-home services through two evidence-based home visiting models, Parents As Teachers® and SafeCare. Home visits can serve pregnant women and families with children through age 5. Families work with a home visitor around topics such as bonding and attachment, positive parenting skills, safety, child development, and overall wellness.
- What to expect during pregnancy
- Tools and gear to childproof your home
- Free child-development screenings
- How to cope with tantrums
- Fun games and activities to do at home
- Information on community events and resources for families and kids
- What to do when kids get sick and when to go to the doctor
Visits take place every other week in the most comfortable setting: the family home, Florence Crittenton’s Outreach Center, or other agreed upon location.
For more information on Home Visitation, contact Jen Burckhard at 406.442.6950 or email [email protected]
Receive quarterly updates and learn all about the lives changed by Florence Crittenton in Helena, Montana
901 N Harris St
Helena, MT 59601-3000
Compassion in Action